News

Five facts you didn’t know about Yatton

Yatton is a village and civil parish within the unitary authority of North Somerset, which falls within the ceremonial county of Somerset, England. It is located 11 miles south-west of Bristol. Its population in 2011 was 7,552.

  1. Yatton’s name is believed to come from the Anglo-Saxon ‘gatton’ meaning ‘village on the track.
  2. Yatton is 11 miles from Bristol and is only 11 metres above see level.
  3. Yatton’s railway station was originally called Clevedon Road and renamed Yatton Junction when the Clevedon branch was built in 1847. (The branchline closed in 1962)
  4. There are active cricket, football and rugby clubs and Dr W G Grace once played Cricket in Yatton. There is a photo of him outside the Railway Inn.
  5. The Worzels include Yatton in one of their songs. “”Sniff, sniff, sniff up thy snuff,
    There’s a mine down in Yatton got tons of the stuff”.

Introduction to Yatton

Yatton is a village and parish 12 miles south west of Bristol with a population around 10,000 but growing with a new development.

The village has a small shopping precinct containing a supermarket, post office, hairdressers, hardware shop, bakery and a range of local independent shops located along its High Street including a newsagent, a deli and a butchers. It also and has a monthly Village market.

The station at Yatton provides regular connections to Bristol, London, and the south west and is within a 15 min easy drive of the M5 motorway.

Yatton has infant and junior schools with secondary education located in the nearby village of Backwell.

More information can be found at Yatton Parish Council website.